Tuesday, December 12, 2006

fuzzy non-verbalness

A brilliant quote from my good friend and former high school art teacher Ann Diedrichsen gives insight to the root of knowledge & how it is different from language. It is so important to recognize why language and art are not parallels & why it is hard for people to "understand" or give credit to art. We have a hard time with things we can't define with words. But deep down we know other ways of understanding the world.

"And you know that your intuition takes every thought and insight and observation you ever had a glimmer of and puts it all together. And it speaks in your chosen objects and your pencils and your markers and colors. My intuition is so much wiser than the part of me that wants to control it all and make logical and profound order. My intuition is even happy, and silly sometimes, something my logical brain is too overwrought to experience often. So it finds truths that I even resist.... I know we need our logical brains---but fuzzy non verbalness is the origin of what we make verbal. Non-verbalness just doesn't speak up for itself very well in this culture. (yes, I think this is funny) Or, ironically, in the art world. Got to have the marketing you know."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am a good friend of Ann's, and am also a teacher. When I read your words, I knew that Ann's heart had chosen you to receive a rare gift. You chose to listen~beyond her words to the non-syllabic content of her soul. That is our dear friend Ann.
Thank you for listening with your mind.

Benet Bruntlett
Vancouver, WA